image depicting complaints

Complaints Procedure


We make every effort to give the best service possible to everyone who attends our practice.

However, we are aware that things can go wrong resulting in a patient feeling that they have a genuine cause for complaint. If this is so, we would wish for the matter to be settled as quickly, and as amicably, as possible.

Please email our Practice Manager on You will receive a reply as soon as possible. Please do not use this contact method if you need medical urgent attention. Further written information is available on the complaints procedure below or from reception. We are continually striving to improve our service.

Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated and a suggestion box is located in the waiting area.

The doctors and staff at the Practice strive to provide high quality patient care at all times and are pleased to receive suggestions to improve our service. We also appreciate compliments when we have done well. However, there may be times when patients are not happy with the service and our complaints procedure enables us to deal with the problem in a timely manner.

Your concern should be raised with the Strategic Business and Development Manager Mrs Janet Newman who is the practice’s designated complaints officer:

Janet Newman
Highcliffe Medical Centre
248 Lymington Road
BH23 5ET

The complaint should be made to the practice in writing and you will usually receive an acknowledgement within three working days from the receipt of the complaint.

The Practice will deal with the complaint in a timely and efficient manner. The method and process of the investigation will be agreed with the practice and the complainant. You will then receive a written report of the outcome of the investigation and, where appropriate, any changes the Practice has made relative to the complaint.

If the complainant and the Practice feel that it would be useful a meeting at the surgery will be offered to discuss the matter with a member of the Management Team and, if necessary, one or more of the doctors.

It is our intention to resolve complaints at a local level, but if you are still unhappy you have the right to make use of the Dorset Advocacy Service.

This provides a conciliation service to assist in what is known as “local resolution”. 

Dorset Advocacy Service
Unit 13-15 Jubilee Court
Paceycombe Way

How to contact the Dorset Advocacy Service

Alternative Ways to Complain

NHS Commissioning Board

How to contact the NHS Commissioning Board

If you are still dissatisfied

If you are still dissatisfied you can contact the Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman to ask for the complaint to be considered for an independent review

How to contact the Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman